'Beyond the Known is an engaging, full-colour route map showing us how we got here, and where we’re now destined to go.'
– Tim Marshall, author of the bestselling Prisoners of Geography
'A thrilling and irresistible history of human exploration, Andrew Rader’s Beyond the Known shows as much admiration for the Polynesians who conquered the Pacific in outrigger canoes as for the astronauts who will take us to distant planets. Celebrating discoverers from every continent, this is world history at its best.'
– Eugene Rogan, Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Oxford, and author of the international bestsellers, The Arabs: A History and The Fall of the Ottomans
'In Beyond the Known Andrew Rader achieves something almost as ambitious as the pioneers he writes about: he retraces the 10,000-year history of exploration, from the Stone Age to the Space Age, in a single book-sized expedition. As the centuries flew by, I learned something new on every page.'
– Ken Jennings, New York Times bestselling author of Maphead
'Scintillating, coruscating, Beyond the Known shows just how powerful the human urge to travel, to explore, to move always has been and always will be. It is a light on the past - and for the future.'
– Anthony Pagden, author of The Enlightenment: And Why it Still Matters
'Andrew Rader’s Beyond the Known is a smashing narrative about the history, the promise, and the innately human drive to explore, from antiquity to today to the coming Star Trek era. I could not put it down!'
– Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA’s New Horizons Mission
'Has an air of authority as well as a lively pace….Good scientific speculation that will leave readers yearning to see how it turns out. An astute - and highly flattering - view of human aspirations.'
– Kirkus Reviews